Men and women. Different in many ways but (believe it or not), the same in many others.
Take skin for example. The Internet is abuzz with skincare tips for women, but where’s all the advice for men? We have skin,too! And whether we mention it aloud or not, we want clear skin as much as the next guy (or girl).
Clear skin is always attractive, and achieving it can help you avoid sagging skin, wrinkles, sunspots, and more later in life. If you’re wondering how to get clear skin for men, look no further! We have compiled the best clear skin tips for men for those looking to have flawless skin with little effort. Here are the top things you need to do:
- Use sunscreen.One of the best tips for clear skin for men is to use sunscreen. Wearing sunscreen not only protects you from harmful UV rays, reducing your risk of skin cancer, but also slows the aging process on your face. Helps reduce the shock factor when 60-year-old you travels back in time to give 20-year-old you some advice. Now don’t be fooled—even a little unprotected exposure to the sun can harm your skin, and can contribute to the development of wrinkles and sunspots in the future. You should apply sunscreen generously and make using it a habit every time you will be out and about for more than a few minutes. Reapply regularly and opt for a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15, ideally higher.
- Wash your face dailyIf nothing else, do this. Ideally, this should already be part of your routine, but if it isn’t don’t fret, just start now. Wash your face twice a day. Why? Throughout both the day and night, lots of microscopic muck piles up on your face, potentially clogging pores and leading to breakouts. Yeah, we know. Ooo la la. Oh and speaking of washing…
- Pick a good cleanserOf the clear skin tips for men, this one’s a good one to heed. Don’t know to cleanse your manly skin? You may think a simple bar of soap will do the trick when it comes to washing, but it doesn’t provide the same benefits of a cleanser, and in fact can dry out your skin. Facial cleansers are designed to clear the face from dirt, grime, a skin secretion called sebum, dead skin cells, and oil. If you don’t clean this off your face, any acne treatment, facial moisturizer, or similar product won’t be able to penetrate your skin. Those with oily skin should opt for an oil-control face wash or acne wash, which will regulate oil production without drying out your face. Those with dry skin should opt for the reverse, a hydrating face wash such as one produced with glycerin or essential oils, which won’t strip away your skin’s natural oil. Try one with a fresh scent for an invigorating start to your morning.
- Use acne medicationIf you’re wondering how men with acne get clear skin the most obvious answer is acne medication. Many men have found success with topical acne products containing salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide, or both. If you have acne but have dry skin, start with using the acne medication just once a day in the morning. You can eventually work your way up to twice a day if your acne is persistent. If you don’t have bad acne, or even if you just suffer the occasional light breakout, acne medication may be too harsh for your needs. Opt for a cleanser and a regular exfoliator instead. You may also consider a spot cream, which is applied as needed to tame angry pimples.
One of the tips for clear skin you’ll hear is exfoliate! What is exfoliating? It’s the removal of dry or dead skin cells, and it’s a key element to clear skin for men! Exfoliating, in addition to stimulating blood circulation, will improve your skin’s texture, making it smoother and softer, and will lighten and brighten up your face. Your exfoliator should be used about once a week. Simply apply the exfoliator to your face, scrub it in, and wash off. Don’t use your exfoliator too often as excessive use will dry out your skin.
- MoisturizeWhen it comes to moisturizer for man’s face – how important is hydration for the skin? We’re glad you asked. Do you want skin that not only seems to shine, but is as soft as a baby’s? That’s where moisturizer comes into play. Keeping your face moisturized not only keeps it looking and feeling fantastic, but prevents premature aging, helps prevent wrinkles, reduces the risk of skin cancer, and is one of the fastest methods to clear skin for men. It also helps get rid of unsightly lines around your face and eyes. In other words, it’s a win-win-win. Unless you have very oily skin (in which case you should pursue an oil-free moisturizer and use less frequently), you should moisturize each time you wash your face—so at least twice per day.
- Keep a consistent routineIf you really want to know men get clear skin, the key is consistency. You can’t slap a face mask on once, or wash your face just a few times a week and expect to get results. A consistent routine, however, has the power to totally transform your face and give you that manly clear skin you’ve always dreamed of. Give your new routine at least a few weeks to take effect, and remember, there’s nothing ‘soft’ or ‘unmanly’ about committing to a skincare routine. In fact, it’s one of the best things you can do for both your health and self confidence!